Indian Navy’s fifth Scorpene class submarine Vagir, having superior stealth options just like the superior acoustic absorption approach, was launched on Thursday on the Mazagon Dock in south Mumbai. Vijaya, spouse of Minister of State for Defence Shripad Naik, launched the submarine by means of video conferencing.
The minister was the chief visitor on the occasion and attended it through video hyperlink from Goa.
INS Vagir – All it’s essential to know
- Vagir is a part of the six Kalvari-class submarines being in-built India.
Maharashtra: MoS Defence Shripad Naik launches fifth scorpene class submarine ‘Vagir’ of Venture 75 in Arabian sea waters at Mazagaon Dock in Mumbai by means of video conferencing pic.twitter.com/LAWAVudqTW
— ANI (@ANI) November 12, 2020
- The submarines, designed by French naval defence and power firm DCNS, are being constructed as a part of Indian Navy’s Venture-75.
- These submarines can undertake missions like anti-surface warfare, anti-submarine warfare, intelligence gathering, mine laying, and space surveillance, an official mentioned.
- Vagir is known as after the Sand Fish, a lethal deep sea predator of the Indian Ocean.
- The primary Vagir, a submarine from Russia, was commissioned into the Indian Navy on December 3, 1973, and was decommissioned on June 7, 2001 after virtually three a long time of service to the nation.
- “Constructing the Scorpene was certainly a problem for MDL, because the complexity of the only of duties elevated exponentially attributable to all work having to be performed in essentially the most congested of areas,” MDL mentioned in a launch.
- “The state-of-art know-how used within the submarine has ensured superior stealth options reminiscent of superior acoustic absorption strategies, low radiated noise ranges, and hydro-dynamically optimised form and likewise the flexibility to assault the enemy utilizing precision guided weapons,” the discharge mentioned.
- The assault will be launched with each torpedoes and tube launched anti-ship missiles, while underwater or on floor, MDL mentioned.
- “The stealth of this potent platform is enhanced by the particular consideration to her attribute underwater signatures. These stealth options give it an invulnerability, unmatched by most submarines,” it mentioned.
- The submarine is designed to function in all theatres of operation, showcasing interoperability with different parts of a Naval Job Power, MDL mentioned.
- “With the launching of Vagir, India additional cements its place as a submarine constructing nation. That is in sync with the present impetus of the federal government in direction of Make in India and Atma Nirbhar Bharat,” MDL mentioned.
- Two submarines of the continued Venture-75 Scorpene programme at MDL, Kalvari and Khanderi, have been commissioned into the Indian Navy.
- The third submarine, Karanj, is within the final part of rigorous sea trials.
- The fourth Scorpene, Vela,has commenced her sea trials, while the sixth and final submarine, Vagsheer, is being readied for boot collectively.
- “Two SSK submarines constructed by MDL throughout 1992-94 are in lively service, which is a sworn statement to the professionalism and functionality of Mazagon Dock personnel,” it mentioned.